So you want to watch your Live Training on your iPad? Here’s how!
Syncing to your iPad
This is by far the most common, and the recommended method of viewing your Live Training purchase on your iPad. This also makes it available on your Apple TV!
- Download the .zip file using the link provided in your sales receipt
- Unzip the file (this may happen automatically) and you’ll have a video file.m4v
- Drag this video into iTunes (tip: if you Get Info on the file, and set Open With to iTunes, then click Change All… in the future you’ll only have to double-click the video to install in iTunes)
- Once it’s in iTunes, just sync your iPad! If it’s not showing up, check the Movies tab in iTunes, and ensure your settings are including your Live Training videos. And if you’re running the latest iOS, you’ll be able to do this syncing wirelessly. Cool!
Direct download to your iPad
Sometimes you just can’t wait to get to a computer and sync to iTunes, and want to watch it on your iPad, now! We tried to hack together a streaming service, but without dedicated infrastructure for this, it simply can’t be done while keeping the price of the videos this low. We even tried just playing through Safari, but it proved massively unreliable. The good news though is that is is possible, but with a little effort.
In short, you have to download the .zip file to your iPad using special software which will unzip it for you, such as GoodReader ($4.99). There may be other free solutions; this is the one I know and use myself.
- Make your purchase as normal, on either your iPad or computer. If on the iPad, you will be presented with a final download page in Safari. If you bought on a computer, on the iPad you’ll need to open your confirmation email which contains a link to download your purchase. Tap that to open that page in Safari on the iPad.
- Tap and hold on the “click here to download” link, and choose Copy from the pop-up.
- Switch to GoodReader, tap on Web Downloads, then tap Enter URL. It will automatically populate with the URL on your clipboard. Click OK to start the download! Once the download is complete, it will show up in the Downloads folder under My Documents in GoodReader.
- This also works: If you just click the download link in Safari, you’ll see the progress bar load as if it were loading a web page (keep in mind these videos are often several hundred MB, so this takes time). You can’t interrupt this process! Once it’s done, you’ll see an option to “open in…” and if you select GoodReader, it will copy the zip to GoodReader. This can take several minutes and looks like nothing is happening… so I really don’t recommend this option.
- Tap the downloaded .zip file, and it will offer to unarchive.
- Once it’s unarchived, you’ll be able to play the movie in GoodReader. For instructions on how to reorganize your downloads, check the GoodReader help. You can also delete the .zip file at this point; no reason to keep both on your iPad.
If you do this, I also recommend you download the movie to your computer as soon as you can, and load it into iTunes for archiving, future syncing to your iPad, or viewing on your Apple TV.
If your links expire, we can reactivate them, but needless to say we’d prefer you download within the 120 hours (5 days) that the link is valid for after purchase :)